Thursday, January 24, 2013

Popular Sayings Debunked #1: Perfect Stranger

Recently, I’ve heard a lot of people talking about others as ‘perfect strangers,’ and I’d like to debunk this saying.

Perfect=No flaws (Nada, zero, absolutely nothing wrong with them)

Stranger=Someone you don’t know (anybody with the words free candy written on the side of their van).

Now, nobody can be a perfect stranger because as Hannah Montana taught us, nobody’s perfect. That includes pop stars, teenagers, and strangers.

I’m not sure why people suddenly have the idea that some stranger they just met can be this perfect person. For all you know, he could be a terrible person filled with flaws, making him much less than perfect (go back to the candy van scenario for an example).

Strangers are mysterious. You don’t know anything about them, so stop holding them up to perfection and treating them like a regular being.

In fact, the definition of perfect stranger should be changed to fit what he truly is. From now on, ‘perfect stranger’ shall be defined as someone who you know nothing about. This way, you acknowledge you do not know this stranger rather than assuming he is perfect.

What? Your saying this was the meaning of the saying the entire time. Ha. You are all such kidders (yes I just said kidders).

All I can say is I sure hope this definition sticks.

-The Anon Blogger

P.S. Yes, I made a Hannah Montana reference. Am I proud of it? A little.

Awesome Links:


4 comments:

  1. This is the right blog for anyone who wants to understand this topic.
    You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with
    you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa). You certainly put
    a brand new spin on a subject that has been written about for a long time.
    Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!
    Here is my blog - great summer vacation

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Perfect stranger is actually an old idiom that uses perfect as an intensifier, more or less synonymous with "complete" or "absolute"; i.e. it isn't a stranger who is perfect; it's a person who is perfectly unknown, or a complete stranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know man! I just changed it's meaning to that. Glad to see it's catching on!

      Delete
  3. Hey sometimes I put crappy paint drawings on my blog too ! Lets be friends!

    ReplyDelete

Pingates